Building Remarkable Communities, Inc. (BRC) is a Florida not-for-profit (for PURPOSE) 501(c)(3) corporation founded in 2015 to respond to an escalation in domestic and family violence in our local communities.
BREAKING THE CYCLE OF DOMESTIC AND FAMILY VIOLENCE
Our mission is to work with both public and private sector companies and organizations to eradicate domestic and family violence in our local communities through prevention, training, and change of mindset via direct victims assistance funding and the development and implementation of educational programs and systems. Our programs are funded through organized athletic events and individual and corporate donations.
HOW WE ARE DIFFERENT
There are any number of agencies and social services who provide for basic needs for survivors of domestic and family violence. We work with these agencies to implement programs that empower survivors to rise above their circumstances and seek new possibilities for their lives. We also provide training for the agencies themselves to become more cohesive teams, dedicated to a common mission.
We are not interested in putting band-aids on the problem, but rather to tackle domestic and family violence at its core, by changing mindsets so that today’s children of domestic and family violence will not grow up to be the next generation of victims and perpetrators.
The idea behind BRC was generated at the Executive Team Planning Retreat at Cheslow Achievement Group in 2013. The team was looking for a cause to champion as a way to give back to the community that had been so good to it over the years. They masterminded a number of ideas, but it was quickly evident that the area of domestic and family violence was where their efforts should be focused.
Three of the four members of the Executive Team had been personally affected by domestic violence in their past.
At first, Cheslow Achievement Group used Deb Cheslow’s best-selling book, Remarkable Courage, as its sole means of fund-raising. The firm donated $4 of every copy of the book sold to support agencies working in the area of domestic and family violence. Cheslow Achievement Group continues this practice today – donating $4 from every copy of Remarkable Courage sold to BRC.
In the Spring of 2014, one of Deb Cheslow’s executive coaching clients suggested organizing a 5K race as a way to boost our fund-raising efforts.
Despite the fact that no one on the team knew anything about organizing running races, they set out to do just that. On September 20, 2014, the first Remarkable River Racing Series 5K was held in Port Orange, Florida with ~275 runner participating in the event.
In 2015, the 5K race expanded into an entire series of races – a 5K in March, a 10K in June, and a 5K and 15K in September. Over 1,000 runners participated in the series races in 2015. The 2016 Series continued to grow with a 5K on 2/28/16; a 5K and 10K on 6/12/16; and a 5K and 15K on 9/25/16. Our series opening race for 2017 will be a 5K race on 2/28/17.
Funds from the racing series have:
• Created and funded Victims’ Emergency Funds with Volusia County Police Departments in conjunction with their Victims’ Advocacy Units
• Created and funded new programs designed to “break the cycle” and prevent future incidents through Healthy Start and Futures Without Violence
• Established collaborations between public and private sector entities to create new programs designed to empower women for Domestic Abuse Council (DAC) shelter residents.
• Supplied training and educational material to numerous beneficiary organizations
• Created a community-wide “adopt a need” program for the DAC shelter to address day-to-day needs of residents
• Facilitated donations of desperately needed supplies and funding to Hush Puppy Haven
• Donated team building training to align mission and goals for public-sector agencies in Volusia County